Saturday, April 25, 2009

You Can Never Stop Networking!


I realized that with all of the developing that I have been doing with my many reality projects, I got out of the loop of networking to get a job on a show. I have for the last year and a half networked with the other kind of people in my business. Development people. I know that they handle a completely different end of the business and oftentimes you are dealing with an arm that solely deals with developing shows and getting them on the air and not staffing them. I never asked, but when I did inquire with a huge company I was told that they usually had no pull in getting people work even if they help to develop the show. They can recommend, but due to the amount of parties involved, everyone usually has their own people that they continually staff over and over. I know a hell of a lot of people, but these days its development people. I like them too!

I have worked at several companies that I know use the same folks over and over. Even those folks - some of whom suck at what they do - BUT there is a likability factor involved on some level and also a trust that has been built up that can't seem to be broken.

The last two weeks, I have put into full force a mission to find and get work. With the economy like it is, its time to build funds up and work on a show until a few of my own babies get the green light. It seems that many Producers do this, they juggle working on someone else's show but also their own shows.

Hmm. Seems easier than I thought. I find that it's easier to get a pitch meeting with my ideas than it is to get a job! BUT alas, I had two job interviews and one I know that I didn't get (BUT they did tell me they want me to pitch them stuff, LOL) and the other I am on hold for. The first sign (they want me to pitch) leads me to believe the UNIVERSE just wants me to pitch and sell a show.

I have several projects once again in Network LIMBO. But Good Limbo.

So, its in a Producer's best interest to always have your hands in both sides of the biz - Development and Staffing - Knowing as many Executive Producers and Line Producers in Hollywood that you can.

1 comment:

Alan Mercer's Profile said...

I just read all your recent blogs Nicole. I love them. You are a great writer. I know you will have that perfect job in a short time......You are too talented.