Wednesday, July 23, 2008

5 Things I have learned out Pitching


Another week and yet more reschedules. Mike Darnell's office has once again had to move our "Titus Project - Devils Workshop" meeting. It's all good in my book and I feel like when the Universe wants us to be in his office it will happen. We literally have rescheduled this meeting now five times due to his busy schedule. I'm not complaining, I'm learning to have patience!! ABC has also been put on hold to next week as well.

Thing is, before the Titus Project, I was not pitching the Networks or BIG time people like Darnell, only production companies.

The most important things I have learned during my six month pitching schedule:

1. Don't be offended when someone reschedules & reschedules. Our Assistant on the "Devils Workshop" explained to me that half of her job is to reschedule appointments. This is TV and things change all the time and its OK to reschedule on their end. Whenever the Universe decides it will happen it either will or won't.

2. Dress to impress. With Network pitches I always dress my best. Nice skirt with a great top and a suit jacket. Recently, I met with a Development person at a Production Company, who was wearing an outfit fit for the beach. I was really taken a back at how unprofessional the person's outfit was. Not to mention the fact that they didn't even get up to shake my hand or give me a hug, which I thought was terribly rude. (considering I had met this person several times!)

3. The more people you pitch, the greater potential you have to sell something. I feel that its a numbers and personality game. The more people you pitch the better potential you have to gain more interest in your concepts and $$ down the road. The more people like you and believe in you, the greater potential to sell it!!

4. A Deal takes Time! It takes so long for a deal to go down. From the creation to the pitch to the sale. My friend Dan optioned a show to MTV, and he is still waiting after 4 months for it to get thru the legal department and start up production.

5. Always keep Positive! That feeling that you are never going to sell it is going to be there. It happens to all of us! You just have to put your head down and keep moving forward and please don't listen to the naysayers...you know those people who are negative and don't believe in you! If you have great ideas and people tell you this, then you know you are on the right track!! Always do your best work no matter what. If you feel down, tell yourself "The Universe will always take care of me! Everything takes time, I will sell this show!"

No comments: